Sunday, April 13, 2008

Making Oak Gall Ink by Dennis Gallagher

I was rather surprised that I was the only "new" member to attend this free class. Dennis provided each of us with oak gall nuts and handouts. He had a jar of ground oak gall, container of powder gum arabic, iron pills and Celtic whiskey. He bought iron pills because iron phosphate or iron sulfate is no longer available on the market due to it being an ingredient for bomb making. Iron is for the color and he suggested we ground three pills and see whether we like the color. If we wanted it darker then we could add more. So the recipe is 3 iron pills grounded, a 1/4 teaspoon of powdered oak gall nuts, 1/8 teaspoon of gum arabic, two tablespoons of water and a capful of mini whiskey. Dennis gave each of us a nib so we could try out our ink. I liked it!
On Friday after a training class, I decided to buy lunch before heading out to the Pierce location. I was at the bus stop fussing and fuming about where to buy lunch when I saw Bubba Gump across the street. Across the street is a parking lot and around the midsection is a building which used to be the Denver Art Supply. I had never been there but decided to give it a try. I was surprised to see Mikey. Mikey used to be a week day night auditor for the YMCA. We laughed and hugged. He showed me to the stairs to order takeout. Bubba Gump is an homage to "Forrest Gump". I've never seen the movie. There were some photos of scenes from the movie decorating the walls. Anyhoo! I got the menu and ordered a charbroiled fish sandwich. When I got to the bus stop, it seemed the bus I was waiting for would never come. I finally reached the office and took a lunch break a few minutes after arriving. The fish sandwich came with fries, cole slaw and a pickle. It was good. Time flew and it was time for me to go home. I got on the bus and the timing was good because the next bus I had to take came along in a few short minutes. I was alert till the bus stop just before my stop then my mind started wandering! I came to when we passed my stop and was about to pass the next one! I yanked on the cord and got off then started walking home. My head was again in the clouds. As I got closer to home, a car stopped in my path. I was on the sidewalk and a car turned into an alley ahead of me and wasn't moving. I was contemplating crossing the street when I came to and realized there were people in the car looking and speaking to me. It was Jan and her husband Dave. How embarrassing. Jan told me Denise had moved on to another position within the organization, Chris retired after 29 years, Marvela was working till May then June she was taking off but on the last working day of June, she was going to come in to turn in her badge. Wow. I asked Jan if she was going to try for Denise's position. She laughed and shook her head. Then I asked Dave if he was going for it. Dave said he did that for many years. So I told him, "Then you're a shoo in! Go for it, get it and use a temp -ME!" Dave mentioned he worked only two days this week. Even when you have a job, it's difficult these days for a company to keep you busy. I asked if they were on their way to dinner and they invited me to join them. I declined and explained I was going to the 9 news health fair and fasting for the blood test. Jan said we'll have to get together. I told her to have a good bye party for Marvela and I'll be there!
I went to the 9 news health fair at St. Luke's. The line was fairly short and I got my blood drawn then went for the women's screening. Doctor Betty checked my breasts, did the pap smear test and the bidigital exam. She told me about Sally Jobe for mammograms. I really need to get a mammogram. No history of breast cancer in my family but it must be done.

No comments: